Living life as a “broke college student” is an everyday struggle— and we’re all about finding hacks to get more, but spend less. So did you know that you can enhance your daily beauty/health/cooking routine on a budget? It all starts with coconut oil!
Coconut oil is super versatile and boasts hundreds of uses. You can take it from the bathroom, to the kitchen, and even the bedroom (ooh la la!). It’s known as one of the healthiest natural oils in the world.
So let’s see what this miracle oil can do for you, shall we?
In The Bathroom…
There are soooo many beauty uses for coconut oil. This stuff can be used on skin, hair, nails, and more! It’s nourishing and anti-bacterial properties work wonders throughout your beauty routine. Here are some uses below:
- Deep Conditioner for Hair — comb through ends, let it soak in, and wash with shampoo. It’ll help with frizz, spilt ends, and overall dryness. Hello, silky hair!
- Skin-Saving Moisturizer — when skin gets super dry and lotion can’t help it, coconut oil saves the day! Melt a small amount into skin after a warm shower and feel your skin get softer right away. Coconut oil soothes and replenishes skin after just one use. It’s totally fine to also use it on your face and lips!
- Cuticle Clean Up — Enhance your weekly DIY mani (who wants to spend $25 on a manicure anyway?) with coconut oil! Massage a small amount into your cuticles to soften them before pushing them back. Apply nightly to maintain those polished nails!
- Remove Makeup — We all know how important it is to remove makeup before bed (no matter how tired you are!). Coconut oil makes it easy! Take a small amount and massage it into your face. You’ll instantly see makeup melting off! It also works as a great remover for pesky waterproof mascara. Afterwards, wash your face with your usual cleanser. Embrace the clean feeling!
- Get a Super Close Shave — Coconut oil is a great substitute for shaving cream! It’s a wonderful multi-tasker that smoothes, moisturizes, and makes shaving easy (no more clogged razors!).
In The Kitchen…
- A Better Butter Substitute — Does a baking recipe call for butter? Replace it with coconut oil as a healthier alternative! Coconut oil has a rich flavor on it’s own, so you won’t even notice the difference.
- Goodbye, Canola Oil — Coconut oil isn’t just for baking cookies and cakes! You can use it as a substitute for any vegetable oil. For savory dishes, a pinch of salt conceals the nutty flavor of the oil.
- Take A Shot — If you’re up to it, a spoonful of coconut oil everyday is tremendously good for your health. It’s a healthy fat that can help increase metabolism, boost your immune system, help with digestion, and more. Some people take their daily dose of coconut oil melted in a hot cup of tea or coffee. Do what works for you!
- Take It In The Bedroom — We’ll be blunt here— Coconut oil is nature’s lube. Many personal lubricant brands contain harsh chemicals (think parabens and glycols) that you wouldn’t want to put near your most delicate area. Plus, it’s discreet! You can keep a little jar of coconut oil on your night stand and no one would suspect a thing.
- Soothe A Bug Bite — By now, you know that coconut oil has amazing skin benefits. Reduce the itch of those pesky bug bites with a small application of oil. Reapply as necessary!
- Polish Your Shoes — Keep those expensive leather flats looking new by massaging a very small amount of coconut oil into the leather. Remember, all shoes are different so test a small area first to make sure it doesn’t stain unevenly.
- Remove Stubborn Stickers — Bought that wine glass on sale with the price sticker on the side? No worries! Saturate the sticker with coconut oil and let it sit for about an hour. It’ll slide right off.
We’ve listed just some of the ways coconut oil can be incorporated into your daily life. There are hundreds of uses for nature’s miracle oil (and you’ll even come up with some yourself!)
For a small investment of less than $10 (Seriously, it’s $5.99 for a jar at Trader Joes), you can be the proud owner of a multi-tasking-wonder-oil that you can use everywhere, for everything! How’s that for livin’ the life on a budget?